Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Enterprising Joshua Johnson

To pay for his college, Joshua Johnson took up tap dancing, in public venues, asking for tips.

Crazy strategy?  Tonight he appeared on Dancing with the Stars.

HP had the story months ago, long before tonight's star turn:

Joshua Johnson might seem like a normal college student, but the 20-year-old has developed quite a unique way to pay for tuition.

The New York City native has been tap dancing on the subway to pay for his education at Penn State. And his talent has helped him raise the $6,000 he needs to pay for school each year.

On weekends, Johnson makes the trek from Pennsylvania to New York to perform in subway stations, where he says he can make about $200, The New York Times reports.

But in high school, a university education wasn't always on the agenda.

"I didn't really think college was an option for me; I was never really an 'A' student. But at the same time, I didn't want to look back on life and say to myself, 'I didn't go, because I didn't apply,'" Johnson said on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."


More...

No comments: